Friday, August 31, 2007

When you get it down into Final Cut Pro it seems so much smaller -- by which I mean more brief. Forgotten are all the hours and days and weeks of photgraphing frame after frame, erased from memory are all the mistakes and so are all the hours spent correcting them. In editing, it all comes down to a minute and eight seconds, stretched by correctional efforts and the addition of inserts to a minute twenty-five. 1:25! Ridiculous.

But, on the other hand, I'm very proud and satisfied to present this! Haven't been as proud for any of the few other films of which I've been so completely in charge.



Here's the description I give it on YouTube:

"Stop motion animation centered around a creature of Yiddish folklore, the Golem. This video was the biggest and most rewarding hands-on experience in film production that I've ever had. It's the first video I'm proud to have had the majority of influence over.
It doesn't come across so well in the smal, 320 x 240 YouTube size -- plus it's shaky animation to begin with. This was the first time doing stop motion for both of us. I hope it gets across what it's supposed to, despite adversity."

BH and I have a joke about how the Golem puppet (well, the Mark One version, not the one actually used in the film) is like our retarded baby. We had that ambivalent love for it. We would've hoped for something "better," but I mean, it's our kid. Can you really complain about what you yourself create? No, you can only love it. And it applies to the whole video, too.

And hey, the Mark Two Golem turned out to be something of a retarded baby, as well; more mildly, though. Actually, gimpy, clubfooted, and not retarded; needed crutches.

I guess talking about my dreams for and reasoning behind the music video project can wait. I fly back up to Vancouver the day after tomorrow. I'm in North Hollywood now, in the house of my parents, and I've been here since May 1st. I think maybe in preparation I should sleep for once.

2 comments:

Brianna Harden said...

I never said anything about retarded babies!! Absolute libel.

I'm actually rather fond of Golem M.1. Save for some mass issues he's quite a contender.

Eagle Macher Squid Shmegegge said...

well, technically I said the business about retarded babies. but I can't possibly take all the credit, that's just not fair.